19. The Knights Hall
The original vaulting of the Knights Hall, already in ruins in 1827 and collapsing in 1847, was built with native slate. The stones were of large dimensions and of a considerable weight. While being restored, a system which no longer exercises any lateral pressure on the walls was chosen. After the installation of a floor heating system, the hall regained its initial character thanks to the floor pavement consisting of large sand stone plates, its clear rough cast, its illumination by brass bracket lamps, its fire place with its imposing wooden lintel and quality furniture.